REFLECTOR: Cabin Heating

Chuck Jensen reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 28 Jan 2004 11:24:46 -0500

Scott,

I'm riding with you from now on!  I've sealed up the hatch, pretty good seal
on the aileron torque tube penetrations and good door seals.  The two
problem areas are the in leakage from the nose gear/keel and the air coming
from the flapper controlled duct work is quite cold, so it seems unlikely
that it'll heat up the cabin.  As posted before, if I block off enough air
flow on the front oil cooler so as to warm the cabin inlet air to a
satisfactory level, the engine oil temps rise to unacceptable levels.  Oh,
the conundrum!!

I haven't a clue what you are doing to be toasty at OAT 15F, but I'd like to
do it too!!!

Chuck

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On
Behalf Of Scott
Sent: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 10:58 AM
To: reflector@tvbf.org
Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: Cabin Heating

At 06:46 AM 1/28/2004, you wrote:
>If 99% of the V has the same heater configuration (for the RGs?), then they
>must have same "meat locker" problem. Anything below OAT 0C is just a real
>problem.  I resent hating to take a trip in the cold part of winter knowing
>how much it's going to hurt.  A few extra pounds of hardware seems like a
>small price to pay for relief.

No they don't all have the "meat locker" problem, that is my point.

Almost every V I've seen, leaks air into the cabin like no tomorrow. Huge
leaks.  There is just no way your going to heat up the cabin  with all that
very cold air blowing in.

Close the leaks and the cabin can be nice and toasty.   Even with my one
big leak left, the nose gear into the keel area , I can cook you out of teh
front seats in my plane at 15 F OAT. And I have the nose oil cooler as the
only means of heat.

I think if you would plug the leaks, there is no problem.

Scott