REFLECTOR: nose smell

Jack Sheehan reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 28 Jan 2004 10:42:52 -0500

I agree the smell in the cabin is usually from the nose wheel. I have
a problem where the nose tire can sometimes rub on the nose gear leg
at the large retaining nut. Really smells at take off sometimes. I
have been told that a possible cause is the fact that my nose tire is
a 4 ply tire and deforms easily at high speeds. the newer tires are 6
ply and do not expand with the high speed centrifugal force of
rotation. I see when I change the tire. My nose tire now has an
additional little groove in the center.
Jack
N55XL