REFLECTOR: Cabin Heating

Dave Black reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 28 Jan 2004 03:12:08 -0500

Jim,

> I've always been partial to plumbing the coolers parallel, but
> have no way of knowing whether or not they are getting even
> remotely equal flow rates through them.

Good point. But the only time that would matter is if you arbitrarily set the
valve to the
middle (50/50) position. Or open both valves if you're using a two-valve
system.

> How might one quantify this kind of thing?

I wouldn't. Instead of putting the selector in a specific incremental
position, I'd set it based on the results I want: i.e. heat the cabin or cool
the engine. Position it however is necessary to get the desired results on a
particular day. It really doesn't matter what percentage of oil goes each
cooler as long as both you and the engine remain comfortable.

Compare it to setting the throttle at cruise -- you adjust by the Tach or MP
gauge, not the physical throttle position.

Dave Black
Shortwing RG