Sliping during a landing was : RE: REFLECTOR:Lower Winglets

Scott reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 27 Jan 2004 22:03:36 -0700

If there is a turbulent cross wind landing I automatically go into "slip"
mode.  I'm more comfortable and feel like I have a lot more control?  If
its a smooth and steady cross wind I'm fine with the crab and jab method,
though I feel like I've thrown all finesse out the window.

I don't have the lower winglets and haven't touched a wing yet, lucky I
guess.

Scott

At 09:26 AM 1/27/2004, you wrote:
>Jack made a joke about training wheels on the winglets, well, I was
>thinking maybe boogie wheels could be mounted on 'em.  I started out with
>full dimension, which we will call X, lower winglets.  My left winglet is
>now X-1/4".  Night landing, blowing snow and 12-15kt gusting
>crosswind.  Just at touchdown, the upwind wing yielded excellent, but not
>appreciated, lift.  Apparently, I made a two point touchdown (left main
>and left winglet), though it wasn't obvious at the time.  The CFII
>commented that "that was interesting."  I assured him it was fun when you
>get to use all the controls during a landing.
>
>During preflight the next day, I nonchalantly ran my hand along the bottom
>of the winglet and thought it felt rough.  In looking, I could see the top
>glass layer was "ground" down some.  So, the training wheel idea holds
>more appeal than you might think.  While some have joked about it, I
>haven't heard anyone else admit to unscheduled size reduction of the
>winglet but I find it hard to believe other(s) haven't suffered the
>ignominy.  Any volunteers?
>
>Chuck

"Those who sacrifice freedom to get security, deserve neither."
- Benjamin Franklin