REFLECTOR:Experimental:Lower Winglets

Scott Baker reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 27 Jan 2004 12:27:24 -0500

Kurt -
Just wanted to share that the factory did some experimenting with the size
of the lower winglets on the XL wing.  We found 5" to be the "magic" number.
We started out with a 2" lower winglet and then kept adding more length
during successive trial runs.  The response and "feel" of the aircraft got
better and better until we reached 5" - after which more lower winglet
didn't add much of an improvement.
Scott B.

----- Original Message -----
From: <NMFlyer1@aol.com>
To: <reflector@tvbf.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 27, 2004 10:19 AM
Subject: REFLECTOR:Experimental:Lower Winglets

> I love reading all the different theories and ideas that people have,
makes me feel slightly less odd.

> I have the 173 FGE. Since Canards are such runway hogs, and high density
altitude is a factor here, I made quite a few "adjustments" to my V.

> Canard:  No elevator cuffs, and factory VG's.
>
> Winglets (tipsails): Lower winglets are 2" instead of the full size, to
keep spanwise flow from sliding off the edge of the wing. As a bonus, they
look a whole lot better than the full size lowers.
> I also made my rudders full length. This just happens to make the rudder
the same size as if I had full lower winglets.

> Wings: I will use the vortilons, and possibly the fences, we shall see.
>
> PowerPlant:  340HP Aluminum V-6 Chevy, 76" 3 blade CS Prop.
>
> Derated by density altitude, I should still have tons of power for takeoff
around here.

> The whole goal was to be able to depart my home (5000' before DA takes
effect), from a 5000' runway. Any possible speed increase will just be a
bonus!

> This is all still theory since I am not flying yet, but the test should
come this summer. If I would have followed the directions, I would have been
done a couple years ago..... but may not have been able to fly on a hot day
out here. We shall see.