REFLECTOR: Cabin Heating

Chuck Jensen reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 27 Jan 2004 09:19:00 -0500

Since every configuration is different, yours may vary but I tried some of
your proposed fixes with less than stellar results. My cabin air is fed from
a flapper that opens and taps air flow downstream plenum of the front oil
cooler and ducts it to the cabin.  It was obvious, due to the massive
airflow thru the oil cooler, the outlet discharge air was heated just a few
degrees.  Figuring that by slowing the air flow, the increased residence
time would allow sufficient heating of the air, I cut some squares of a
cloth bag filter and put 4 layers over the cooler inlet and plugged the
plenum outlet.  The only air allowed to pass was what I feed to the cabin.
My plan was to rely on the rear oil cooler to maintain engine oil temps.

On the test flight at OAT 5C, the cabin heat was nice and toasty; a big
improvements (and a high "smug" factor).  Then the oil temps started to
climb, and climb.  Finally topping out at 220C (181C is normal) and elevated
CHTs at reduced cruise.  End of experiment.  Removed the outlet plug and 2
of the 4 cloth layers on the inlet and went back to freezing at 0C OAT.  It
was unexpected (in my mind) that the front oil cooler carried that large a
fraction of the cooling load.  I expected to be able to block off the front
cooler and still maintain adequate oil temperatures. Not. There just doesn't
seem to be a happy medium.

Bottom line; I'm going to try a second oil cooler, in series with the front
cooler, that's dedicated solely to cabin heat.

Chuck

Jim S. wrote:

I have the same problem with my 173 FG.  I have outlets to the cabin in the
outlet
plenum of the forward oil cooler, but not much air goes there if it can get
out the
bottom scoop.  I plan on making a "flapper valve" that in one position
covers the
outlets to the cabin, and in the other position covers the overboard vent.
That will
force all the air coming through the forward cooler into the cabin.  Of
course that's
continually heating outside air, so if it still doesn't work, I'll fix it so
when I
open the vents to the cabin and close the overboard vent, it will also close
off the
inlet and turn on a blower that recirculates cabin air through the forward
cooler.
I'm not worried about not being able to cool the oil since this only happens
in the
dead of winter when the aft cooler should be able to do the job by itself.
Fix it next summer, try it next winter .... Jim S.

--
Jim Sower ... Destiny's Plaything
Crossville, TN; Chapter 5