REFLECTOR:Lower Winglets

Pat Shea reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 27 Jan 2004 01:38:27 -0800 (PST)

 Thanks for the aerodynamic theory and the pressure
pics Al.
 I should have been more clear - removing the lower
winglets effectively reduces the total wing area which
I wanted to replace (that whole canard-to-main wing
balancing act). I also wanted to replace the lost
"tail-feathers" for yaw stability. As you pointed out,
there certainly are other aerodynamic effects.
 Do you suspect the wing without the lower winglets
will be less efficient at cruise (slower) or just less
stable at the low end?  Duane didn't indicate N97XL
exhibited any nasty behavior at low speeds - then
again, he flies these things for a living...

Thanks, Pat