REFLECTOR: Vortilons

Jim Sower reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 26 Jan 2004 23:53:16 -0600

--------------30533593C8880515A2839E7E

I am going to keep my lower winglets, and if I make another canard (which I aim to do)
I'll install them.  They inhibit spanwise flow, and if I have a little wing down in a
crosswind landing, I will merely skag the lower winglet and not tear a rudder off.

I will keep my vortilons and install them on my next airplane because they inhibit
spanwise flow (a big contributor to deep stall), because Burt is really adamant about
retaining vortilons and because I haven't heard an authoritative voice or a convincing
argument for taking/leaving them off.  Besides, they cost nothing in performance.

I have VGs that cost two bucks, take a couple of hours to install or remove.  They buy
me between 8 and 10 kts on landing and 5 on Takeoff.  They may cost me a couple of kts
cruise - I don't know.

I aim to try TE fences, bracketing the ailerons.  They inhibit spanwise flow and
enhance roll authority at low speed.  There's rumors that they make for faster cruise,
but that's rumors.

I have aileron hinge gap seals that enhance low speed roll authority and are reported
to help at cruise.  I see no compelling reason to install rudder hinge gap seals, but
they cost about $1 so why not?  They take about 10 min to install.

With 450 lb in the front seat and a full load of fuel, I fly my approach at about 75
kts and touch down at 65-70.  Someone whose V gets mushy below 100 kts might want to
consider re-visiting some of his cosmetic decisions.

What works for me .... Jim S.

--
Jim Sower ... Destiny's Plaything
Crossville, TN; Chapter 5

--------------30533593C8880515A2839E7E

I am going to keep my lower winglets, and if I make another canard (which
I aim to do) I'll install them.&nbsp; They inhibit spanwise flow, and if
I have a little wing down in a crosswind landing, I will merely skag the
lower winglet and not tear a rudder off.
they inhibit spanwise flow (a big contributor to deep stall), because Burt
haven't heard an authoritative voice or a convincing argument for taking/leaving
them off.&nbsp; Besides, they cost <b>nothing</b> in performance.
remove.&nbsp; They buy me between 8 and 10 kts on landing and 5 on Takeoff.&nbsp;
They may cost me a couple of kts cruise - I don't know.
spanwise flow and enhance roll authority at low speed.&nbsp; There's rumors
that they make for faster cruise, but that's rumors.
and are reported to help at cruise.&nbsp; I see no compelling reason to
install rudder hinge gap seals, but they cost about $1 so why not?&nbsp;
They take about 10 min to install.
at about 75 kts and touch down at 65-70.&nbsp; Someone whose V gets mushy
below 100 kts might want to consider re-visiting some of his cosmetic decisions.
it would be nice to get an
for
would
the other?