REFLECTOR: Vortilons

Jim Sower reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 26 Jan 2004 23:28:10 -0600

I have the same problem with my 173 FG.  I have outlets to the cabin in the outlet
plenum of the forward oil cooler, but not much air goes there if it can get out the
bottom scoop.  I plan on making a "flapper valve" that in one position covers the
outlets to the cabin, and in the other position covers the overboard vent.  That will
force all the air coming through the forward cooler into the cabin.  Of course that's
continually heating outside air, so if it still doesn't work, I'll fix it so when I
open the vents to the cabin and close the overboard vent, it will also close off the
inlet and turn on a blower that recirculates cabin air through the forward cooler.
I'm not worried about not being able to cool the oil since this only happens in the
dead of winter when the aft cooler should be able to do the job by itself.
Fix it next summer, try it next winter .... Jim S.