REFLECTOR: Vortilons

Dave Teter reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 26 Jan 2004 22:24:11 -0600

Guys,
Just as a point of reference, here are Burt's comments on vortilons from the
Canard Pusher as indicated....

>From CP47, Page 9, January, 1986

     Due to the wide variety of workmanship, flying characteristics can vary
considerably from one airplane to another, even though they may have been
built from the same plans. We have been confident up until now that Long-EZs
were pretty much immune from a main wing stall, if they were operated within
the normal limitation of gross weight and CG. Recently we were surprised to
learn of a stock Long-EZ that experienced a main wing stall. Admittedly this
aircraft had been loaded to well over normal gross weight, but the fact that
it occurred at all has led us to make the following change a mandatory one
for all Long-EZs, regardless of which canard is installed.
     All Lonq-EZs must have three vortilons installed as shown on the
leading edge of each main wing. We have conducted rather extensive testing
of vortilons and they definitely do add to the stall marqin of a swept wing.
     They have always been required when using the new R1145MS canard, they
are now required even if you have the original GU canard installed.
     Probably the best way to install vortilons is to make them with a small
flange on each side. Finish them through final paint (using your trim color
is a neat idea) then glue them to the finished wing in the appropriate
position using a small amount of clear RTV silicone.
     We have included full scale patterns for each vortilon, as well as a
plan view and front view showing the positions at which each vortilon should
be installed. The main design requirements are that the vortilons are
mounted so that they are vertical, relative to the aircraft in level flight,
and that they are mounted parallel to B.L.0 or the centerline. They do not
cant outboard or inboard. The vortilon itself should be made from a six ply
BID solid glass layup. The flanges can be two plies of BID on each side of
each vortilon.