REFLECTOR: Vortilons

Alex Balic reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 26 Jan 2004 16:58:05 -0600

Jack-
You can not seal the gap between the elevator and the canard- it is designed
to bleed air from the bottom of the canard onto the top of the elevator -
like a fowler flap.  The rudder seals sound like a good idea...

Alex

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On
Behalf Of Jack Sheehan
Sent: Monday, January 26, 2004 1:58 PM
To: reflector@tvbf.org
Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: Vortilons

Chuck,
I have used tape for the gap seals on the ailerons. I have not tried
the elevators or rudders. Have you closed the gaps on all the
controls?
  I have considered trying to make a sliding door or shutter type
thing that might fit between the oil cooler and the fuselage so that
you could close it some in flight with just a push pull cable. I also
just taped over the fresh air NACA scoop on top since all the
switches, lights and vents leaked cold (very cold) air. For those
building you may want to consider some sort of a shut off flapper for
the fresh air plenum. You could make a little butterfly damper type
thing that could be shut off in the rear seat area. The problem I
have now is that if I decide to fly to Florida I am going to have to
stop in Georgia and take the tape off ( good excuse to pee).

Jack
N55XL