REFLECTOR: Vortilons

Chuck Jensen reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 26 Jan 2004 15:29:43 -0500

Jack,

I've tried several things, the first of which was to seal up the big hatch
and seal, as best possible, the aileron torgue tube penetration.  The
biggest remaining offender is inleakage in the nose gear/keel area.  There
doesn't seem to be a good way of blocking inleakage in that area.

My cabin heat currently taps off the front oil cooler plenum.  The air flow
is so great that it is only heated a few degrees as it rushes thru the
cooler; okay at 10C but not good at 0C. To slow the air flow, I cut pieces
from a cloth bag filter material the size of the face of oil cooler and put
4 layers on the cooler face.  It slow the air down which allowed it to heat
up nicely and warm the cabin, unfortunately, the engine oil started heating
up also.  If I took a couple layers of cloth off the front of the oil
cooler, the engine was cooler, but so was the cabin.  In short, there was no
happy medium.

In short, tapping into the nice hot oil and running it through a smaller oil
cooler before it goes to the primary front cooler seems to be the answer.
The air flow can be controlled to allow full heating of the air while the
main cooler is allowed to do its thing.  It certainly appears there is ample
heat pumped to the front of the plane in the oil line...we just have to find
a good way of tapping it for our use.  The current oil cooler ain't it!

My fresh air duct had some leakage around the attachment point to the
fisheye vent so I just stuck a rag in it.  My next project will be to make
some nice NACA plugs that conform to the surrounding surface that will fit
in the NACA for those months that fresh air isn't needed/desired.  I also
stuck a rag in the NACA for the overhead plenum so it wouldn't be
pressurized and leak cold air on my neck.  Another ideal place for a NACA
plug.  Who knows, with both NACAs covered with a conforming plug, might even
gain a knot or two.

Chuck