REFLECTOR: Vortilons

Jack Sheehan reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 26 Jan 2004 14:03:07 -0500

Wow ! So much discussion VG's Vortillons , Trailing edge fences. I
must be nuts. I have about 150 Hours on my XL-RG I did the test
flying without anything. It flew great. I painted the airplane and it
flew better. ( guess I just got better). I have looked at all the
stuff and am reluctant to make any changes because the wing just
looks good clean. The airplane gets a little sloppy below 100 knots
with the gear down. You have to use the rudders to lead the turn and
the aileron inputs are very deliberate. The problem I have is I am so
used to it everything feels OK. I plan to install the vortillons and
see if that makes a big change and then put on some trailing edge
fences to see if that does anything. I would remove anything that
effects the top end. I would rather go fast.
The only other modification I would be looking to do would be to get
some more heat in the airplane. On a trip back from Kentucky last
week I was really cold OAT -8C @  FL 015 but the ground speed was 260
KTS 285 in the decent.
Jack
N55XL