REFLECTOR: VG's and Vortilons

Dave Black reflector@tvbf.org
Sun, 25 Jan 2004 17:29:18 -0500

Ronnie,

> I do know that I have 120 hours on my 173 Elite RG - VG's, no elevator cuffs
> and no Vortilons and it flies great!  I love my airplane!!!!!

This fits with all the other reports I've heard. While it's possible there may
be some specific flight mode which could bite you without the Vortilons, I'd
think if it existed you would have experienced it by now.

> I am getting ready to do my first annual and I may stick the vortilons on
> and see if I can detect any differences.  My stall consists of a mush of the
> canard, not the pitch buck.  Aileron control is very good all the way down
> to the canard stall.

I don't think you can improve on that!

Would be interesting, however, to see if you could detect any difference with
the VGs. You might see a difference is in slips and skids. It's possible
Vortilons may delay the wing stall a bit when crabbing. It's also possible
Vortilons may cost you a knot at the top end. Like I say, I'd love to hear
your experience if you install them.

Dave Black
Shortwing RG