REFLECTOR: VG's and vortilons

Dave Black reflector@tvbf.org
Sun, 25 Jan 2004 17:17:47 -0500

Greg,

> After receiving my kit I eventually found my way to Sebastian where Scott
> Swing showed me they had rough fabricated vortilons instead of supplying the
> sheet from which builders fabricate their own.

I've always felt the vortilons should be Factory-supplied and molded from
plastic. I spent over TWO WEEKS building mine -- but they may be the prettiest
ones in the world.

> Perhaps Scott Baker might elaborate on the current factory line on this as
> there does appear a surprising amount of conjecture on the topic of
> vortilons, VG's and trailing edge fences?

I think that would be a really good idea under the circumstances.

When the VGs came out a couple years ago, I contacted the Factory to inquire
about using Vortilons along with the VGs. Scott or Duane (can't remember
which) told me at the time that the Vortilons would not be needed if VGs were
installed. Since then I've always gone under the assumption this remained
true. And until this discussion began, everything I'd heard appeared to
confirm that the Vortilons were not needed if VGs were installed.

That said, I doubt having the Vortilons installed would hurt anything. They
may even help a little. But I believe the VGs accomplish most of what the
Vortilons were intended to do, and more.

Dave Black
Shortwing RG