REFLECTOR:Re: Vortilons ...

Jim Sower reflector@tvbf.org
Sat, 24 Jan 2004 14:41:49 -0600

--------------685EA8393DB3DD1C43C18C9F

Be careful.  Burt has been as adamant about never messing with or removing vortilons
as with any issue I've ever heard him discuss.  I'm inclined to believe that Burt's
science trumps anybody's anecdotal experience.  I'm sticking with my vortilons
regardless what else I hang on the wings.  I think removing them has been associated
with deep stall, but I'm very hazy on that part.
But his emphasis on putting them on and leaving them on is pretty well documented ...
Jim S.

jack davis wrote:

> I have a standard RG Elite and only have the VGs (i.e., no vortilons).  The
> aircraft handles very well even at very low landing speeds.  In fact, I have
> immediate aileron control right down to touch down with no need of the
> rudders.  I flew it once without the VGs and at slow speeds it wollows in
> the wind without rudder input.
>
> Therefore, I would disagree and say that you don't need the vortilons if you
> have the VGs installed.  Just my experience . . .
>
> Jack

Be careful.&nbsp; Burt has been as adamant about <b>never</b> messing with
or removing vortilons as with any issue I've ever heard him discuss.&nbsp;
I'm inclined to believe that Burt's science trumps anybody's anecdotal
experience.&nbsp; I'm sticking with my vortilons regardless what else I
hang on the wings.&nbsp; I think removing them has been associated with
deep stall, but I'm very hazy on that part.
documented ... Jim S.
(i.e., no vortilons).&nbsp; The
fact, I have
the