REFLECTOR:Trailing Edge

Chuck Jensen reflector@tvbf.org
Sat, 24 Jan 2004 13:59:18 -0500

Has anyone made an effort to determine optimum shape/size of the fences. In
a post several months ago, there was a discussion that oversized fences seem
to inhibit turning but that most of the "gain" from the fences were still
realized even with the smaller fences that we are seeing. And, the single
most effective fence location was inboard of the ailerons (if I recall
correctly).

However, I'm curious if a different "shape" has been explored.  To my
untrained, unsophisticated eye, the triangular, square ended fences aren't
as aesthetically pleasing as a more tapered, streamline shape that better
reflects body lines of the fuselage, might be.  Are the tall "pointy" tips,
top and bottom, really essential to performance?  A more rounded shape would
seem to be more visually pleasing.  Understand, these questions come from a
person that thought MoMA referenced a close family member.

Chuck