REFLECTOR:Trailing Edge Fences

Scott Baker reflector@tvbf.org
Thu, 22 Jan 2004 20:58:53 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0017_01C3E12A.8B4C8630

Dave,
Chris Martin recently posted a lengthy report on the benefits of =
trailing edge fences and the improvements he has seen in his XL-RG.  The =
following is from his post to the Reflector on January 18 (4-days ago).

The design of these fences is the brain child of Klaus Savier. A =
brilliant
guy who holds all of the speed records in his Long EZe.. He also makes =
the
Light Speed Ignition system which I am using two of in my plane. I'm =
flying
an XL RG with a Lyc. IO540 and a MT prop. The addition of the fences, 2
each wing, have made the plane much easier to control in landing's and
takeoff's. The plane just flys straighter when the gear is down. Many
people have a problem of the gear doors acting like rudders and pulling =
the
plane around. The fences make it fly like it's on rails. I have noticed
that starting a turn now definitely needs to be lead with rudder =
especially
below 120 kts. So, just in handling alone it was worth it. Take offs and
landings are also improved by a reduction of 200 to 300 feet. The final
blessing was an increased top speed. I worked with Klaus Savier in the
design of these and Klaus said that the improved wing efficiency at high
speed causes the angle of attack to be reduced by about 1 to 1.5 =
degrees.
This gives you a lower profile and subsequent reduced drag. Thus a speed
improvement of 3 to 4 knts. At present I have two fences per wing and am
considering 1 more at Klaus's suggestion. My fences are on each side of =
the
aileron. When I add the third it will be 2/3 of the distance from the =
end
of the aileron to the winglet.

I attached some of the other builders comments from the archives and =
will
try to get you some pictures .

Chris Martin

=20

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Dave,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Chris Martin recently posted a lengthy =
report on=20
the benefits of trailing edge fences and the improvements he has seen in =
his=20
XL-RG.&nbsp; The following is from his post to the Reflector on January =
18=20
(4-days ago).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><EM>The design of these fences is the =
brain child=20
of Klaus Savier. A brilliant<BR>guy who holds all of the speed records =
in his=20
Long EZe.. He also makes the<BR>Light Speed Ignition system which I am =
using two=20
of in my plane. I'm flying<BR>an XL RG with a Lyc. IO540 and a MT prop. =
The=20
addition of the fences, 2<BR>each wing, have made the plane much easier =
to=20
control in landing's and<BR>takeoff's. The plane just flys straighter =
when the=20
gear is down. Many<BR>people have a problem of the gear doors acting =
like=20
rudders and pulling the<BR>plane around. The fences make it fly like =
it's on=20
rails. I have noticed<BR>that starting a turn now definitely needs to be =
lead=20
with rudder especially<BR>below 120 kts. So, just in handling alone it =
was worth=20
it. Take offs and<BR>landings are also improved by a reduction of 200 to =
300=20
feet. The final<BR>blessing was an increased top speed. I worked with =
Klaus=20
Savier in the<BR>design of these and Klaus said that the improved wing=20
efficiency at high<BR>speed causes the angle of attack to be reduced by =
about 1=20
to 1.5 degrees.<BR>This gives you a lower profile and subsequent reduced =
drag.=20
Thus a speed<BR>improvement of 3 to 4 knts. At present I have two fences =
per=20
wing and am<BR>considering 1 more at Klaus's suggestion. My fences are =
on each=20
side of the<BR>aileron. When I add the third it will be 2/3 of the =
distance from=20
the end<BR>of the aileron to the winglet.<BR><BR>I attached some of the =
other=20
builders comments from the archives and will<BR>try to get you some =
pictures=20
.<BR><BR>Chris Martin<BR></EM></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;<BR>&gt; ----- Original Message =
-----<BR>&gt;=20
From: "Dave Teter" &lt;</FONT><A =
href=3D"mailto:ezaviator@truetechsys.com"><FONT=20
face=3DArial size=3D2>ezaviator@truetechsys.com</FONT></A><FONT =
face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>&gt;<BR>&gt; To: &lt;</FONT><A =
href=3D"mailto:reflector@tvbf.org"><FONT=20
face=3DArial size=3D2>reflector@tvbf.org</FONT></A><FONT face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>&gt;<BR>&gt; Sent: Thursday, January 22, 2004 5:15 PM<BR>&gt; =
Subject:=20
REFLECTOR:Trailing Edge Fences<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; &gt; Is anybody =
flying=20
a Velocity with trailing edge fences? If so, what's your<BR>&gt; &gt; =
comment on=20
benefit?<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; Dave<BR>&gt; &gt; 173 FG =
Elite<BR>&gt; &gt;=20
N127DH<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt;=20
NT=20
face=3DArial size=3D2>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; Visit the gallery!&nbsp; =
</FONT><A=20
href=3D"http://www.tvbf.org/gallery"><FONT face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>www.tvbf.org/gallery</FONT></A><BR><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2>&gt; &gt;=20
user:pw =3D tvbf:jamaicangoose<BR>&gt; &gt; Check new archives: =
</FONT><A=20
href=3D"http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail"><FONT face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>www.tvbf.org/pipermail</FONT></A><BR><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2>&gt; &gt;=20
Check old archives: </FONT><A=20
href=3D"http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html"><FONT =
face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html</FONT></A><B=
R><FONT=20
face=3DArial size=3D2>&gt; <BR>&gt;=20
NT=20
face=3DArial size=3D2>&gt; <BR>&gt; Visit the gallery!&nbsp; </FONT><A=20
href=3D"http://www.tvbf.org/gallery"><FONT face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>www.tvbf.org/gallery</FONT></A><BR><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2>&gt; user:pw =3D=20
tvbf:jamaicangoose<BR>&gt; Check new archives: </FONT><A=20
href=3D"http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail"><FONT face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>www.tvbf.org/pipermail</FONT></A><BR><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2>&gt; Check=20
old archives: </FONT><A=20
href=3D"http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html"><FONT =
face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html</FONT></A><B=
R><FONT=20
face=3DArial size=3D2>&gt; </FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0017_01C3E12A.8B4C8630--