REFLECTOR:Nav Requirements

Scott reflector@tvbf.org
Fri, 16 Jan 2004 17:11:47 -0700

Actually there is an additional requirement.

The OM or IM or ILS antenna location or what ever location on the approach
your trying to DME from must be in your database, meaning it must be a
named fix or you know the Lat/Longs for it and have entered it into the
GPS's data base.  Problem is a lot of ILS's and some LOC approaches have
the DME  co-located with the ILS antenna and that location is not published
as a named fix or lat/long.  Unless there is some other fix on the approach
that you can compute the distance form you SOL.

Also the GPS MUST BE in approach mode, not terminal or enroute mode,  this
enable RAIM and also puts the GPS in its most sensitive output mode so full
deflection is 1/8 mile or something like that..  You have to manually put
it in Approach mode if using it for a non-GPS approach.

Scott