REFLECTOR:Velocity-Firefly World Flight Info

reflector@tvbf.org reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 6 Jan 2004 00:30:11 EST

--part1_16a.2865d7b7.2d2ba1e3_boundary

Today had to call the factory and Duane Swing provided the following info
that I thought would be of interest to others:
1) The Firefly is at the factory being modified to carry 370 gallons of fuel.
2) The Firefly mods were an attempt to reduce adverse yaw at lower speeds,
more Cessna like. Winglets were moved inboard onto tail booms just outside of
propeller. Wings are longer, with wider cord and less sweep. However not much
improvement so they plan to add VG's.
3) Gross take-off weight to be about 4000 lbs.
4) The fuel is intended for the over 4000 miles from Argentina to the South
Pole.
5) Since McMurdo Sound will not allow a landing and refueling, the plan is to
fly back to Argentina, and continue on to North Pole in summer daylight
hours.
i am sure we all wish him best of luck.
Don White   N19DW    XL/RG

--part1_16a.2865d7b7.2d2ba1e3_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><HTML><FONT  SIZE=3D2 PTSIZE=3D10>Today h=
ad to call the factory and Duane Swing provided the following info that I th=
ought would be of interest to others:<BR>
1) The Firefly is at the factory being modified to carry 370 gallons of fuel=
.<BR>
2) The Firefly mods were an attempt to reduce adverse yaw at lower speeds, m=
ore Cessna like. Winglets were moved inboard onto tail booms just outside of=
 propeller. Wings are longer, with wider cord and less sweep. However not mu=
ch improvement so they plan to add VG's.<BR>
3) Gross take-off weight to be about 4000 lbs.<BR>
4) The fuel is intended for the over 4000 miles from Argentina to the South=20=
Pole. <BR>
5) Since McMurdo Sound will not allow a landing and refueling, the plan is t=
o fly back to Argentina, and continue on to North Pole in summer daylight ho=
urs.<BR>
i am sure we all wish him best of luck.<BR>
Don White&nbsp;&nbsp; N19DW&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; XL/RG<BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_16a.2865d7b7.2d2ba1e3_boundary--