REFLECTOR:CHT & EGT EXTENSIONS

Wayne Lanza reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 25 Feb 2004 22:46:39 -0500

--Apple-Mail-12-675751330
	delsp=yes;
	charset=ISO-8859-1;
	format=flowed

Hi Mack,
  Sorry, but EGT/CHT thermocouples are not resistive probes but =20
"galvanic" devices, i.e. they emit a
voltage dependent upon temperature. Blue Mountain, in some cases uses a =20=

resistive CHT probe.
If the resistance is effected by the wiring it is easily calibrated out =20=

by the system settings - PLUS -
the nominal resistance of this type of probe is in the 40K to 60K ohm =20=

range. A few ohms of error introduced
by the wiring would be insignificant... I have worked with =20
thermo-resistive and thermocouple measurement
systems for over 25 years, this stuff isn't black magic. A word of =20
advise regarding thermocouples, avoid
grounded probes (ones where the junction is shorted to the probe case). =20=

They are most likely to cause
problems with measurements and typically have shorter service lives. =20
The best probes that I have used
are those made by Electronics International.

Wayne Lanza
________________________________________________________________________=20=

___________
On Wednesday, Feb 25, 2004, at 22:31 US/Eastern, MMurp16900@aol.com =20
wrote:

> I do not think you can change the length of the wires on none powered =20=

> egt cables the thermal cables must have the exact resistance.
> Only my opinion.
> Mack
> =A0

--Apple-Mail-12-675751330

Hi Mack,

 Sorry, but EGT/CHT thermocouples are not resistive probes but
"galvanic" devices, i.e. they emit a

voltage dependent upon temperature. Blue Mountain, in some cases uses
a resistive CHT probe.

If the resistance is effected by the wiring it is easily calibrated
out by the system settings - PLUS -=20

the nominal resistance of this type of probe is in the 40K to 60K ohm
range. A few ohms of error introduced

by the wiring would be insignificant... I have worked with
thermo-resistive and thermocouple measurement

systems for over 25 years, this stuff isn't black magic. A word of
advise regarding thermocouples, avoid

grounded probes (ones where the junction is shorted to the probe
case). They are most likely to cause

=
_________

On Wednesday, Feb 25, 2004, at 22:31 US/Eastern, MMurp16900@aol.com