REFLECTOR:Mag Timing Slipped?

Jim Sower reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 09 Feb 2004 08:55:23 -0600

--------------8CB54A3B64EC09002ADE9078

It's a puzzlement sure enough.
<... Is it reasonable to think that the points could wear enough
to cause the timing to move that much ...>
The points don't wear measurably, but the rubbing block does.
Rubbing block wear causes point gap to decrease, dwell to
increase, timing to retard, so that wouldn't seem to be the
problem.
Interesting phenomenon ... Be sure and let us know when you
track it down ... Jim S.

--
Jim Sower ... Destiny's Plaything
Crossville, TN; Chapter 5

--------------8CB54A3B64EC09002ADE9078

It's a puzzlement sure enough.
to cause the timing to move that much ...>
Rubbing block wear causes point gap to decrease, dwell to increase, timing
to retard, so that wouldn't seem to be the problem.
down ... Jim S.
condition inspection on my 173 Elite RG and all is looking great except:</font>&nbsp;<font size=-1>When
I checked my Slick mag timing, I found it at 32 degrees BTDC.&nbsp; Since
our Cessna 172 in 10 years never had the timing reset except for the 500
hour mandatory inspections of the Bendix dual mag, this has me scratching
my head.&nbsp; The timing on the Jeff Rose has not changed.</font>&nbsp;<font size=-1>The
retaining bolts were tight, an internal inspection of the mag reveals nothing
(however, I have not checked the internal timing yet) , and I KNOW the
timing was set correctly (25 degrees BTDC) on this Lycoming IO360.&nbsp;
I had a low static RPM - 2100 rpms - so we checked everything before changing
the prop.&nbsp; Any worn parts in the gearing would cause the timing to
be more retarded.</font>&nbsp;<font size=-1>Is it reasonable to think that
the points could wear enough to cause the timing to move that much?</font>&nbsp;<font size=-1>Or
Brown</font></blockquote>

--------------8CB54A3B64EC09002ADE9078--