REFLECTOR:TUNE, STRAIGHT EXHAUST PIPES

Jim Sower reflector@tvbf.org
Fri, 06 Feb 2004 22:04:03 -0600

Pat,
I didn't mean to imply that vibration was the central issue.  I believe "rooster tail"
drag is pretty well documented (I'll try and find you some references).  I am
suggesting that straight back pipes would increase performance and that perhaps if we
focused on the soot-on-prop problem we might find a solution that doesn't have such a
big performance penalty.  Just off the top of my head, extractors would enhance
cooling of a downdraft airplane and should mitigate the exit temps from the cowl).

But in the end, it all turns on what you're willing to give for what you get .... Jim
S.