REFLECTOR: Cowling Camlocs?

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Thu Dec 30 10:01:47 CST 2004

That's me.

I don't recall posting any pictures on my install.  I should be able to get
some this weekend.  First time since December 1 that I've been able to work
on the plane.

Lot's of toys have come in.  The GX60 is here, the prop is here.  Need to
mount remote magnetic indicator, electronic gyro, GPS antenna etc.

Speaking of GPS antennas.  The GX60 gomes with this big patch antenna, and
the manual talks a great deal about signal loss.  However, this is an
amplified antenna, meaning there is a 5volt bias that powers the amplifier
inside the antenna.  They want me to use this big thick low loss cable.
We've been using similar amplified antennas here in the office for years.
Nice, small.  about 4cm x 4cm.  Nice small 20 foot cable with excellent
results.  Takes 5volt bias, just like the Garmin antenna.  Why shouldn't I
use one of my antennas instead?

Why does the Garmin antenna say "do not paint"?  I want to install it way
forward in the nose where the fiberglass is only one layer thick.