REFLECTOR: Old Threade - Franklin oil pump spring

Jeff Clough jclough at gci.net
Sun Dec 26 22:22:33 CST 2004

I hate to dredge this up again, but I could not find the info in the
archives......with the Franklin engine nstallation and an up front oil
cooler a stronger spring needed to be installed in the oil bypass area
to acheive greater oil pressure.   Supposedly the stronger spring could
replace either of the springs in the bypass pump.....Well for a few
years I have had the sronger spring and FINALLY went to install it..BUT
the two springs  in the bypass are different......one is a very light
spring and the other is the identical spring to the 'stronger ' one  I
was going to install.   The stronger spring when fully compressed is
still too long to fit in the space of the lighter spring.... I guess
what I need to know is this: is  the stronger spring which is already
installed is aqequate or if anyone who installed the stronger
replacement spring in place of the lighter spring had to cut the spring
length down.....Confused in AK....anyone else confused now?  THANX
Jeff Clough