REFLECTOR: AN AIRPLANE IS BORN! AND NEW INFO.

Tom Martino tmartino at troubleshooter.com
Fri Dec 17 00:00:35 CST 2004

Today (December16, 2004) ... at approximately 4:00pm MST ... the
conglomeration of parts previously known as Kit SN# DMO-282 ... became
an official Aircraft.  The Designated Airworthiness Representative (D.
A. R.) from the Denver FAA FSDO office approved N173EX to be flown for
Phase One Flight Testing!

Now the fun really begins.  Thanks to all here on the Reflector for the
valuable information over the last few years.  I hope Marion Sparrow
(former, deceased owner) will be happy to know I carried on where he
left off.  By reading through the Reflector archives, I was able to get
to know Marion through his posts over the years.

On a related topic ... I read much discussion here about making major
changes to your experimental aircraft after getting your Special
Airworthiness Certificate.  My Amateur Built Operating Limitations from
the FAA state that I can incorporate any major change in my aircraft ...
so long as I put it back into a flight test mode for a period not less
than 5 hours.  After that, it simply needs a log entry to be legal.
There is no need to file any paperwork with the FAA nor is it necessary
to have any FAA inspection of any kind.

So, in essence, we have a lot of leeway.

I plan on having a test pilot do an inaugural flight sometime right
after the first of the year.

Tom Martino