REFLECTOR: Gross Weight Increase

HYTEC45 at aol.com HYTEC45 at aol.com
Sat Dec 11 08:17:31 CST 2004

Most operating limitations issued @ time of airworthy certificate issuance
have an item that says something like, approval must be received from the FAA
before operations after a major change or modifications.  This is what I would
be careful about in regards to the insurance companies.  Example, a propeller
change is considered a major modification.  So, just trying your buddies prop,
while done, is not legal unless you receive a letter from your fsdo.  When I
changed from a performance prop to the mt, I made sure that I had approval for
both.  I have two weight @ balances along with the letter that covers both.
When I installed my external baggage pods, back to the fsdo.  I actually have
four W at B depending on what configuration I am flying with (mt w/pods vs
performance prop w/o pods, et.)

TEC