REFLECTOR: AIRWORTHINESS INSPECTION NEXT THURSDAY

Richard Riley richard at riley.net
Fri Dec 10 11:34:35 CST 2004

At 02:05 AM 12/10/04, you wrote:
>The day has come! The DAR will be at my hangar on Thursday, December
>16th.   Any words of advice?
>
>I noticed that eery Velocity I have ever seen is marked with "small"
>n-numbers.  The regs say we can only use small numbers for antique
>replicas or if our aircraft will not exceed 180 knots.  Ae Velocity owners
>pessimistic?

Berkuts with IO-540 engines have been known to touch 260 knots, in level
flight with the throttle wide open.  But we've always listed a 179 knots
cruising speed.

After all, you don't want to abuse your engine.
And Avgas is expensive.
And that way you have much longer range.
And you can stay back with the O-320 powered Long EZ's
And it's quieter.
And you have more time to prepare when coming in to complex airspace.

At least that's the reasoning I gave the DAR when he asked. ;)