REFLECTOR: Light Weight Fat Wire

NMFlyer1 at aol.com NMFlyer1 at aol.com
Thu Dec 9 20:40:12 CST 2004

Well, this is interesting. I read all the stuff in the link that Keith
provided reference "Fat-Wire".
Sounded great, even though my setup is a little odd. So, Being the cheap  ass
that I am, I decided to look for other suppliers of copper clad aluminum
wire.

While it is much lighter, I found some discrepancies on the resistance per
foot as compared to that listed in their site. Notice they compare resistance
(aka conductivity) to silver, but compare weight to copper.

I have to say, most of us would not spend $6.75 a foot for wire that would
save us 3 pounds per aircraft.  We may, however, do that to get lower
resistance AND a small weight savings. This would come at the expense of a FAT  a$$
wire in your duct.

Just thought I would share.   Here is one link that shows very  little
conductivity difference in AWG-4 copper and AWG-2 CCA.
Make your own observation. Note, they say it costs less than copper  !!!!

_http://www.copperweld.com/pdfs/Bimet_CCAdatasheet.pdf_
(http://www.copperweld.com/pdfs/Bimet_CCAdatasheet.pdf)

Kurt ( the pessimistic).  :)