REFLECTOR: Seat foam

NMFlyer1 at aol.com NMFlyer1 at aol.com
Thu Dec 9 09:47:56 CST 2004

Al,

  I made the front seat foams from Confor Foam.  I originally  made the
fronts 3 layers (1-stiff, 1-med, 1 softer). I ended up taking out the  layer of
stiff due to seat height and the fact that it was just too stiff.

The rear seats were ordered from Chesnut ridge. They are certified  material,
flameproof, and fit pretty damn close when they showed up. Nice stuff.

All seats took a little batting material to get them upholstered, and they
look essentially the same. The rears had the "bolsters" built into the foam
from  Chesnut, the fronts had to be made.

I haven't had a chance to plant my butt in both types for 3+ hours, and  that
is usually the real comparison, but here's the scoop.

The Confor Foam has great crash protection and really is pretty  comfortable.
It is like sitting on cement when it is cold, but gets comfy once  it warms
up. It does have to be cut and shaped, but there are some tricks that  work
pretty well.

The Chesnut ridge foam is pretty nice. It fits right in the pans, and only
needed a little relief where the bumps are by the hinges. It is a little
stiffer  than the Confor Foam (once it is warmed up), Id say stiffer than an auto,
but  better than a commercial airliner.  It is also heavier than the Confor
Foam  , by probably 2 pounds per seat.

I still have the ordering info for Chessnut ridge if you need it. I think
they made a part number for my rear seat foams (173 size).  The Confor Foam  I
got through Wicks. They had a much better price and choice than Spruce and
Misery.

There's my 4-cents worth Al,  Hope it helps.

Kurt