REFLECTOR: Fwd: My Velocity setup

NMFlyer1 at aol.com NMFlyer1 at aol.com
Fri Dec 3 14:11:07 CST 2004

That's true, but I  don't need it at cruise. Im just trying to sneak a little
extra flow when Im  taxiing or sitting still. After that, my scoop design
takes over.

My idea  behind this is to scavange some of the flow that comes through the
bottom  radiator, across the bottom of the pan, and out the "suction slot".  at
 about 18" from the center of prop rotation, it should also add to the
suction  the prop places on the cowl opennings. Well.. at least that is my idea,
we'll  see if it works out. I am hoping that I can get away without an oil cooler
 with that setup. No worries though, I have a backup to put an inline cooler
on  the #2 NACA scoop if I need it.

Keep in mind that  the reduced pressure (“suction”) generated by the prop
dissipates rapidly  (exponentially) as you move away from the prop, so even a
foot is a long way -  and at cruise it is almost non-existent; you have to rely
on dynamic pressure  and whatever gradients are produced by the flow.
Remember, the air is  standing still, the airplane is moving.  Some air is getting
pushed/pulled downward by the airfoils, some is being pushed back by the prop,
the rest is getting out of the way as best it can.
Al