REFLECTOR: High temp epoxy

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Fri Dec 3 10:06:46 CST 2004

When I was looking into this I just did a web search for "high temperature
epoxy" and sorted out a few candidates.  I have since lost most of that
info.  Find one that is termed "laminating epoxy" which are generally lower
viscosity for wetting out glass cloth.  You'll want a 'mixed' viscosity of
about 1200 cps (centipoises), or less, at 75F.

A couple products that come to mind are Thermolux, (try Adtec, 913-789-7808)
and Ryton, a PPS (Polyphenylene Sulfide) resin product from Chevron Phillips
Chemical Company LP.  You'd have to check the suitability of these, I
haven't used them.

BTW; although carbon fiber has the highest tensile strength of the "cloths"
for general application, it is not the best for high temps.  For this
application (below 400F) I'd say it doesn't matter since the epoxy is the
limiting factor, but S-glass has better high temp characteristics.

Al