REFLECTOR: Grounding Point

Alex Balic alex157 at direcway.com
Thu Dec 2 23:09:22 CST 2004

Hey Al,
I don't think that there is too much charge differential building up during
actual fueling operations, I would think that when the fuel is flowing the
charge could pass freely from the tank to the nozzle via the surface of the
fuel and thereby keep the potential at or near zero- I will check up on this
though..............I believe that the problem is that a spark occurs
between the fuel nozzle and the aluminum cap, or between the nozzle and the
skin in the vicinity of the cap when the two are brought into close contact
just prior to fueling- assuming that the aircraft is not "grounded" to the
fueling point.  There can be a lot of charge differential between the
aircraft and the fuel truck due to many different reasons, and I am just
trying to figure out the best way to make the differential zero before the
fuel cap is opened, and/or placing the brass safety screen in the filler
neck to prevent fire from entering the tank.
 Like I said in a prior post I got severely jolted once re-fueling from a
ground based pump station because I had the ground clip in one hand and
touched the spam can I had just finished flying with the other- a mistake I
will not repeat- and if I had fuel on my hand at the time I am pretty sure
it would have ignited...
About the chain- I was referring to the design that has the ball chain
attached to the fuel drain line and it rolls around in the bottom of the
tank- a chain that makes it into the fuel and attaches to the cap would
certainly make more sense- and I think that touching the fuel ring with the
nozzle before opening the cap would help as well.
Alex