REFLECTOR: Yoke vs. Stick

Scott Baker sbakr at comcast.net
Thu Dec 2 04:47:20 CST 2004

There is a big difference between true fly-by-wire and that of having an
electrical trim - namely, when speaking about the electric trim, one still
has a physical connection between the control stick and the control surfaces
(be it push rods, torque tubes, or cables).  The consequences of flying an
aircraft with a broken trim are minor.  The consequences of flying an
aircraft with a broken fly-by-wire would be akin to flying your Flightsim
with your Microsoft joystick disconnected.  Fly-by-wire with servos will
certainly work, we just need to think about back up, double back up, maybe
triple back up ...and that's where the risk v. cost decisions come into
play.
My thoughts.
Scott B.