REFLECTOR: Yoke vs. Stick

Barber Law Firm CBarber at TexasAttorney.net
Wed Dec 1 12:39:52 CST 2004

My plane came with the yoke (the last SUV, I think, but I have added the
second door, so now an SE).  I have no real desire to switch from the yoke
(even though I think a $1000.00 premium for what many do not consider an
upgrade is hurting more than helping). I too like the idea of flying left
and fiddling right. The loss of panel area is very secondary to me (even
though with the yoke, the big Blue Mountain would probably not fit but that
is ok since the Blue Mountain is not in my budget <g>)

Now, that being said, I do like the idea of a left side stick like the
Cirrus.  I spoke with Brandon and he stated it was considered but due to the
slope of the fuselage the left stick would require too many components and
loose the simplicity advantage.  I think he mentioned it could be done, but
you would have to use u-joints etc which cause some slop in their test.  WAY
down the road and well after I start flying, I would give serious
consideration to a modification to a left side stick.  BTW, a while back
someone posted pictures of a left side stick.  It was only partially in the
picture since the picture was of the panel. At the time others expressed
interest in the left side stick and hoped more pix of it would be uploaded,
but none ever were.  FWIW.

All the best,

Chris

Christopher Barber