REFLECTOR: Switches

Wayne Lanza wlanza at bellsouth.net
Sun Aug 29 19:07:24 CDT 2004

Hi Kurt,
  My recommendations for you are the following:
- Use a multi-conductor (plenum) type of cable or separate (22 gauge)
strands up to the
switches and use relays to handle the current. Do not use ribbon cable!
the wire gauge is
too thin and the stuff will work harden and leave you with opens over
time.
- I have used thousands of properly rated relays with no problems over
the past 12 years
of building more about 2,000 power panels - I figure the stats are
pretty good... When you
wire the relays, I'd suggest turning them on by switching the grounds.
It's safer that way
and you will need one wire per plus one ground wire common to all
switches - simple...
- The use of a lower current switch should open up a wide selection of
switches for you.
I wouldn't give you a nickel for push buttons, they are hard to feel to
determine if they are
off or on. We have had several A/C in the shop with PB's and the
general consensus is
not favorable. Being able to run your fingers across a row of levers
(or whatever...) to
assure that they are all off without seeing them is reassuring...

Have Fun,
Wayne