REFLECTOR: Grand Rapids Engine Monitor

Ronnie Brown romott at adelphia.net
Sat Aug 28 08:17:50 CDT 2004

I disagree with your assessment of GRT.

They may have started out as being focused on the ultralight crowd, but
their EIS has evolved into a mighty fine engine monitoring instrument.  I
have half a dozen friends flying with the EIS on Lycomings and Rotaxes and I
have one on my Lycoming/Velocity. One even got rid of his Vision (talking
about inflexible!!!) and installed a GRT.  Less room, lower cost and does
the engine monitoring function much better and they are very reliable.

Not everybody has a constant speed prop so they don't need the MAP like you
do.  And very few homebuilts are running turbo charger so why should GRT
include that.  If TIT is that important, you could put a dedicated display
on it and vacuum too.  Or move one of your EGT's.  By the way, what is the
difference between TIT and EGT?

I don't know of anyone running GRT's color graphic display, but if GRT does
their normally fine job, the graphic and EFIS will be excellent additions to
the EIS line.

Some suggestions - forget the AMPS - doesn't tell you anything about the
health of the charging system that the voltmeter won't tell you.  Less than
13.2 and the alternator isn't charging.  More than 14.8 and the regulator
isn't working.  Anything in between is fine.

Re the fuel level, you could wire the two fuel levels into one switch and
feed that to the GRT if you run out of Aux inputs.  There are 4 aux inputs -
two are used for MAP and Fuel Pressure.  That leaves 2. Fuel flow is an
option but doesn't use the aux inputs.

I used the Water temp input to monitor the exhaust air out of the Cowl.  My
Velocity runs about 160 degrees.  I set the alarm at 200.

In closing, I do have a high opinion of Grand Rapids Tech.  They have been
around a long time and they have sold a BUNCH of EIS systems and support is
fantastic.

Ronnie Brown