REFLECTOR: Firewall

Scott Baker sbakr at comcast.net
Fri Aug 27 16:46:34 CDT 2004

I couldn't resist adding some nostalgic thoughts regarding Sacramento and the surrounding areas.  Lincoln, California (where I became a part of Velocity so-to-speak) is located just north of Sacramento - I lived in beautiful Yuba City - which was listed years ago at the "bottom" of Rand-McNally's list of top (however many) cities, and which is now one of the fastest growing regions of California.  The Sacramento Valley is, in my opinion, a pilot's dream.  From May 1st to October 30th you can plan any outdoor event on any day of the week, and be _guaranteed_ there will not be a drop of rain.  Thunderstorms, not.  Lots and lots of sunshine.  Winter time is predomimently fog, drizzle, overcast ... great for IFR training.  Mather AFB and McClelland AFB have been turned over to the city.  It's quite a "trip" to operate off 10,000' long, general aviation runways.  SMF (known as "smurf" to locals) is a very friendly Class "C" airport.  The city manages a great general aviation parking area, complete with shuttle busses to the commercial terminal.  It's routine for pilots to fly into SMF to pick up friends and family who are arriving via scheduled carriers (I wish Orlando was the same).  ATC is friendly as all get-out.  Ask nicely and you will receive ... including GSA's (or PAR's) at nearby Beale AFB.  As you can see, I've got a lot of fond memories of Sacramento and would recommend to all to drop in and visit.
Scott B.