REFLECTOR: GA Scare Article in Boston Globe

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Fri Aug 27 10:32:30 CDT 2004

It seems to me that going after the Boston Globe is a bit like killing the
messenger.  The problem obviously is at the Center for Strategic and
International Studies; Specifically David Heymen, Director of Homeland
Security, and Phil Anderson, Senior ASSociate.  Send the letters there.

The more they can crank up the fear factor, the more likely they can get
additional funding.  Much of their funding comes from corporations (who can
benefit from their recommendations) and foundations (which can be hard to
track), but they also have government contracts.  Write your congressman
about that.

Center for Strategic and International Studies
1800 K Street, NW
Washington, DC 20006
ph: 202-887-0200 | fax: 202-775-3199 | email: webmaster at csis.org
<mailto:mschoeff at csis.org>

Background:

CSIS is led by John J. Hamre, formerly deputy secretary of defense, who has
been president and CEO since April 2000. It is guided by a board of trustees
chaired by former senator Sam Nunn and consisting of prominent individuals
from both the public and private sectors.

The CSIS staff of 190 researchers and support staff focus primarily on three
subject areas. First, CSIS addresses the full spectrum of new challenges to
national and international security. Second, they maintain resident experts
on all of the world's major geographical regions. Third, they are committed
to helping to develop new methods of governance for the global age; to this
end, CSIS has programs on technology and public policy, international trade
and finance, and energy.

Headquartered in Washington, D.C., CSIS is private, nonpartisan, and
tax-exempt.  It currently has endowments of about $25 milllion.
Contributions from corporations, foundations, and individuals constitute 85
percent of the revenues needed to meet CSIS's budget, which in 2004 is $22
million. The remaining funds come from endowment income, government
contracts, and publication sales.

Al