REFLECTOR: GA Scare Article in Boston Globe

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Fri Aug 27 09:17:18 CDT 2004

Here was my reply:

Dear Sirs,

Regarding your article, "Analysts warn of small-plane terrorism threat", I
find it irresponsible to spread this kind of fear, obfuscation and doubt.
The article is thin on facts, and portrays General Aviation in a bad light.
If the author would have done some research into the matter, he would have
found that the carrying capacity of a Cessna 172 is much lower than that of
a small truck. Yes, an airplane may be able to detonate in the center of a
stadium, but a shipping truck could carry perhaps eight times the amount of
explosives and detonate nearby, possibly causing similar damages.

General aviation is policing itself, as proven by the foiled sensationalist
plot by NBC to get dangerous items onto a sightseeing flight.

There have been no terrorist acts involving General Aviation; however, we
have seen attacks using automotive vehicles and large aircraft.

Your article unfairly paints general aviation; an industry struggling to
stay alive at this time, and very sensitive to public perception.