REFLECTOR: Lycoming IO 360 Timing

Dave Dent davedent at comcast.net
Wed Aug 25 12:19:32 CDT 2004

You are right to a point.  But you must take into consideration gear lash
and pin looseness.  I am sure that with just the rivet on TDC  you would get
close enough for anything that would not cause any trouble to the engine.
These engines are very loose in the tolerances that it wouldn't make much
difference plus or minus one degree plus or two degrees minus.  But two
degrees plus could cause problems.  Like I said, "I was running 10:1
compression".  That is why I checked it with the meter.  But I'm sure with
Jeff's method of the pin in the case face to the gear you will be just fine
for your timing.  Some people just want it to the Nat's eye.
Dave