REFLECTOR: IO-540 & CONSTANT SPEED PROP

Tom Martino tmartino at troubleshooter.com
Tue Aug 24 12:01:10 CDT 2004

I found out why my prop was not cycling (thanks to the Reflector, once
again).  The internal plug in my crankshaft is missing.  The engine was
shipped with an external plug only to be used with a fixed pitch.  For
constant speed props, the internal plug is supposed to be installed
about 8 inches inside, from the flange (behind the cross flow tube).
Now for the challenge!

I am told the plug can be installed with the flow tube in place and
people do it all the time.  Some mechanics have even designed a special
tool for setting it in place, then they hammer it in to seat it.  My
engine guy has only done this when the crankshaft was on the bench,
without the cross tube in place.  He would like to know if any of you
have done this on an assembled engine ... and if so ... if you could
share your technique or the design of any tool you've made.

Thanks for any help you can give me on this.