REFLECTOR: Aileron Turque Tube

Ronnie Brown romott at adelphia.net
Mon Aug 23 12:37:34 CDT 2004

Hi Joe,

The aileron torque tube is .750 x .058" thick 6061-T6.  The one piece torque tube requires something over 7' long for each of them.

I measured the offset required to put the engine end of the torque tube in the correct position.  Then I used these measurements and jigged a fixture on the work bench to hold the aileron tube and aileron in the correct position while floxing/pop riveting the torque tube to the aileron.  Doing this avoids having to bend the aileron torque tube.

Then for the balancing of the aileron, you will need to support the end of the torque tube in such a way that it minimizes its effect on the aileron while balancing.  Not as precise as not having the tube on there, but still can be done to ensure the nose of the aileron is heavier than the tail.

Ronnie Brown