REFLECTOR: Lycoming IO 360 Timing

Ronnie Brown romott at adelphia.net
Mon Aug 23 07:49:57 CDT 2004

A while back, I asked the Reflector if anyone had any idea why Lycoming had issued a service bulletin about reducing the timing on 200 HP IO 360 engines from 25 to 22 degrees.  I didn't get an answer, but here's an interesting email re timing and CHT's and EGT's (and detonation).  I'm still running 25 degrees on my 360 and my heads have run cool from the beginning so I'm not planning on changing anything.  But those of you who have tried everything to get your CHT's down might want to consider this article I copied from the RV list.

Ronnie Brown

Time: 02:29:21 PM PST US
From: RV8ter at aol.com
Subject: Re: RV-List: engine timing vs CHTs/EGTs

--> RV-List message posted by: RV8ter at aol.com

My io-360-a1b6d lycoming manual (and info on their web site) excludes my
engine from being allowed to be retarded to 20 BTDC from 25.  Doesn't say way.

Anybody know FOR SURE?

do not archive
In a message dated 8/22/2004 5:21:15 PM Eastern Standard Time,