REFLECTOR: Re: Salvage Engine

Jack Sheehan j.f.sheehan at larc.nasa.gov
Fri Aug 20 08:21:22 CDT 2004

Joe,
I do not know any of the specifics but my understanding is that there
have been a number of installations of the IO-550N engine in the
aircraft that were wrecked. If they have flown then they should be
available at a reduced price. Some are brand new in boxes but I do
not think they would be any cheaper than buying through the factory
for a new engine. Usually the manufacturer sets an OEM price for
factories and then there is a mark up through the dealer. Velocity
Aircraft seems to have about the lowest mark up around the industry.
Their interest is in selling more Velocities and engines just go
along with that. So if you want a factory new engine the Velocity
folks are probably the best since you are going to need the mounts
and install kit as well

I will get info about used equipment hopefully by next week and post it.
Jack