REFLECTOR: ALL FIRED UP

Dave Dent davedent at comcast.net
Thu Aug 19 22:41:52 CDT 2004

I just noticed your problem with the prop.  You said you removed the plug from your engine so you can run the C.S. prop.  But did you install the inner plug.  In order to run the fix pitch you have to remove the inner plug and install the outer plug.  But if you go back to a constant speed you have to install the inner plug.  In order to do this you have to order the right one and place it through the crank pass the governor transfer tube and tap it in place.  Some times they may have just drilled a hole through the  inner plug.  If it is the right size you can tap it and put a plug in it. But it is best to install a new one.  Look at the engine parts manual and you will see it.  The outer plug is the same on most of the Lycomings.  The inner plug is different on most because of the size of the cranks inner diameter.  Make sure to check this.  The C/S will not cycle without the inner plug installed.
Dave