REFLECTOR: ALL FIRED UP

Tom Martino tmartino at troubleshooter.com
Thu Aug 19 14:03:31 CDT 2004

I'll help break the silence.  I have fired up my IO-540 about 5 times so
far.  It runs great and has a Lightspeed Electronic Ignition.

However, when it comes to cycling the prop ... I never notice a change
in pitch!  (I have an MT 4-blade)

I know the governor is working and I removed the plug from the shaft ...

Someone said you really have to crank it up in RPM to get a change in
pitch or it'll be too slow to notice.

Unfortunately, I did not have my tack hooked up for these initial
firings.  The tach is part of my EFIS system which has not yet been
calibrated.  So, I can't really say what RPM I was running.

It sure felt like enough to get at least some indication!  Any ideas?

I am using straight mineral oil on my new engine (if that makes a
difference).