REFLECTOR: Hurricane Charley

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Sun Aug 15 17:58:17 CDT 2004

 From a felow canardian posted to the canards at yaoo list.

Hi everyone, I'm reporting from downtown Orlando Executive Airport where I
am seeing some pretty bad stuff.  I see GA airplanes all mangled up.  There
was a DC-3 that was being restored, and it is upside down with a wing
missing, on top of some hangars.  Hangars are destroyed with the airplanes
also destroyed.

I was giving blow by blow accounts of what was happening, especially since
the storm decided to take a course eastwardly toward Orlando.  The eye
passed through Kissimmee, then headed up toward Oviedo where I live.  The
eye passed two miles west of my house.  There is a lot of damage, mostly to
trees and some houses, but all in all we survived fairly well.  My project
as well as Neil Clayton's project are okay, although our yards look like
disaster areas.  I've been out with my chain saw since midnight Friday
night cutting trees and clearing streets.

I do have some pictures of the destruction around our neighborhood and
Executive Airport, and I can send you guys some later on.  Hold off about a
week and then ask me.  We don't have power or internet service where I live
yet, and this is why I decided to take a ride downtown.  They are restoring
power mostly to businesses at first, so this is why I can communicate.

Later,
Simon In Oviedo, FL
.