REFLECTOR: Aileron Rolls

Fred Marconi fmarconi at bellsouth.net
Sun Aug 8 10:35:01 CDT 2004

  Lynn,

  Thanks for your communications.  The aileron rolls were done by the test
pilot, Dave Manary the day the plane flew for the first time.  He did three
or four left and right rolls.  He stated that he had no problems and that
the plane performed well.  I have it in my agenda to call him to go out and
have him teach me how to do the rolls.

  My ailerons are one foot larger than called for in the instructions.
Since I have never flown at length another Velocity it is difficult for me
to make comparisons.   My Velocity was the first complex high performance
plane I have flown.  I have now 60 hours in my velocity and I find, barring
my limited experience, that the plane behaves well at 90 - 80 kts.  The
biggest problem that I had was my stall speed.  This was due to the fact
that the trailing edge of the canard extended too far over the elevator.  I
had to cut it back 1/4 inch.  Now I come over the threshhold at 80 and touch
doen at 78 with two people and easily keep the nose up at touchdown.  I do
not feel at any time that I do not have aileron control.  I hold my stick
with my fingers and keep a light grip making slight movements as needed.  I
have played with my ailerons adjusting them and find that for my taste 1/8
of an inch above the trailing edge of the wings gives me the response I
like.  If I set them even of below the trailing edge they become too heavy
and slugish.

  On your explanation for long trips and getting of course due to small
adjustments.  I find the aileros exptremely responsive where slight pressure
will bring about a roll.  I found the autopilot, when it was working, had no
problem to keep the plane on the GPS course.  Since the movements to bring
about a small course change is so light, I wonder if aileron centering
becomes an issue. It seems that aileron centering becomes an issue during
wide deflection of the aileron rather than small roll adjustments.  After I
get the A/P working  I will check on this again and see who well the system
keeps it's course and report back.  On very steep bank turns tha plane
responds quite well.  I have tighten my system so there is no play between
the joy stick and the keel torque tube this made a bif difference.

  Fred