REFLECTOR: Aileron Rolls

Lynn Gallup LGallup at mn.rr.com
Sat Aug 7 20:47:19 CDT 2004

Well, let's not get overly motherly here.  If there was an inherent danger with a properly built Velocity regarding aileron rolls, we would have known about it by now. If the concern is for pilot stupidity, like trying to learn aileron rolls at 2,000 ft. AGL, then that particular pilot has countless easier ways to scuff up his Velocity - And he will find them.  I practice aileron rolls at no less than 8,000 ft AGL, that's 9,000 MSL where I fly.  And, though it is irrelevant to my argument, I have done aileron rolls in a Citabria and I found them easy compared to getting them right in the Velocity. My advice is: If you don't feel confident about trying them, then for God's sake don't; but don't rain on my parade because of it.
Lynn